You will need
- Red and blue food coloring
- 2 clear plastic cups
- 2 stalks of celery
- Magnifying Glass
Adult Guided Activity
Trim the bottom and top of the celery (adult only)
Put a small amount of food coloring in each of the plastic cups and fill them with water
Place a celery stalk in each cup and leave in a warm place overnight
Developing Investigation and Enquiry
Talk about what has happened to the celery stalks
- Why do you think it has started to change color?
- How did the celery 'drink' the water?
- How did the water get up the celery stalk?
- Can you see the tiny tubes in the celery?
Introduce the word xylem to explain the tubes that transport up the stalk. Use the magnifying glass to see the xylem.
Keeping Everyone Safe
Role model safe cutting when using a sharp knife to cut celery.